January 25, 2011

Keyes Foresees Super Bowl XLV

The Lombardi Trophy
Here we are the best outcome the NFL could have hoped for Steelers vs Packers. The opposite of what I predicted Jets vs. Bears but what can you do, I started hot and now I'm below zero. One last chance at redemption until next year.

Steelers vs. Packers Both teams are very well coached, both teams have Super Bowl history and both teams have the star QB. We saw the Steelers rediscover their run game against the Jets, that was something I didn't see coming. As I watched the game last week I tweeted sometime in the first quarter the Jets needed to contain Ben Roethlisbergers ability to extend the play. Easy for me to say sitting in my favorite chair with the fireplace on, but it was true. The Jets initial coverage was more than enough to get the job done, it was once he passed the 3-5 second window, escaped from the pocket that he was doing damage. If the Packers want to beat the Steelers they will need to keep Ben in the pocket. His ability to improvise is too high and actually makes him a better QB when he's doing it.

Rashard Mendahalls running game needs to be with in the 75-95 window, anything over that and the Steelers will be in the drivers seat. The one thing I espeically liked from the Steelers was their opening drive. When you put together a drive like that it sends a message you are here for business.

This shouldn't be my last note but it's just the way I write so no disrespect Mike Tomlin... 38 years old and at his 3rd Super Bowl. Mike Tomlin is doing what every coach dreams of, but most of all he's doing it right. You  don't here his name in the paper for anything negative, no media tyraids, no conflicts with players. He's a man who understands the game, his players and his situation.

Switching gears to the Packers, Aaron Rodgers is going to have to put on a MVP performance as I see it. The Steelers defense will be right next to him all day. The one weapon he can use to change that is the big play. Going down field, pass plays of 30 yards or more are very needed in this game. I can't even imagine how much the Packers will miss Jermichael Finley next Sunday. That would have stacked the deck towards the Packers for sure.

The Green Bay running game needs to have positive carries with no turnovers. The ball can't hit the ground.  Starks and company have to understand that every run won't be for 5 plus yards and the run game will give their defense a chance to breath. This lesson is vital.

Finally Mike McCarthy another understated coach, compliments to him as well. I am curious to see what he does to combat the Steelers defense. With  two weeks Troy Polomalu and company have a chance to heal and get back to that blitzing Steeler defense.

My prediction Steelers 33 Packers 28, but don't bet on it....
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment