January 17, 2011

Australian Open 2011

Maria Sharapova serving at the Open
The Australian Open is underway down under kicking off the 2011 tennis season. This is the first Grand Slam event of the season.

 I remember watching this event as kid on ESPN, USA network and who ever else would broadcast it back then. I admit tennis isn't for everyone, but being introduced to it at a young age by my friend Andy who I grew up with helped us understand the game. Andy's dad was  a school teacher and played tennis on the weekends every morning. We would sometimes tag along to the local high school and act as if we knew how to play. Wanting to hit the winners down the line, trying to get topspin on the serve. I may have to pick that hobby up again, but not until I start biking again. Have to have stamina for tennis.

So far at the A-Open early round winners are as expected on the womens side Maria Sharapova, Venus Willams and Caroline Wozniacki. From the men's side Andy Roddick, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic have advanced to the second round.  I am going with Federer and Caroline Wozniacki as my two champions. Tennis is hard to predict these days but we will see. If you enjoy tennis or just like watching sporting events I suggest you check out ESPN's coverage.

For all stats, pictures and news use the Australian Open link at the top.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment